I can’t spin to that. http://ow.ly/lvYDR
http://ow.ly/lt2Vo Tuesday can’t hold you!
Good morning, and what a beautiful one at that. I walked out of the gym at about 6:45 and the smell of spring consumed me like a drug. That combined with the elation that comes with the knowledge that I just burned several hundred calories before 7am and there’s no impending workout to contend with, set the tone for what I hope will be….the most amazing day.
Nothing on the schedule that is particularly awesome but today just feels warm and peaceful. My granny used to have furry rabbit skins around the house, I’m not sure why, but the way those skins felt when running your hands over them as a child, was warm and soft and…peaceful. That’s how I feel this morning. Pumping the brakes here as I feel like the dead rabbit skin analogy was just a little much. Moving on.
Homeschooling is what excites me this morning. Yep, homeschooling. We’ve decided to give it a whirl. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for so many years but never had the courage to step out and just try. I never felt like I was competent enough or patient enough or conservative enough. Ok, I’m conservative but in a very relaxed way, is that possible? Then a few months ago I felt a check in my spirit, for about the hundredth time, and the question was again raised, can I entertain this home school thing?
I think the first step in answering the question was, why do I want to home school? And I found out there are so many reasons, here is my short list:
1) Flexibility, being tied down to the district calendar for lack of a better word, stinks.
2) Time, I miss my kids because I work weekends, homeschooling will enable me to spend more time with them and it doesn’t take nearly as long as a typical school day. The older they are the more involved they are in sports and activities that take them away from our home. Eight hours in school, home for a snack, football, baseball, gymnastics, dance or the sport du jour takes up the rest of the day. If I home school we actually have time for family and learning things like chores and cooking and other family responsibilities.
3) Curriculum, introducing the study of religion and bible which they don’t get in the public school and is something I think is extremely important. I can also tailor their education to their learning style and spend more one on one time with them than their teacher can.
4) FIELD TRIPS! Speaks for itself, I can’t wait for field trips!
There’s probably more but that’s what I can come up with now. We are planning to attend the Teach them Diligently homeschooling conference in Omaha Nebraska next week and looking forward to learning lots more about curriculum and homeschooling in general.
Stay tuned to my blog for updates on how a crazy girl like me fares in a this new world. Fingers crossed this doesn’t automatically qualify my kids for therapy. Have an extra awesome day!
It’s been a long day, I’ve longed for this moment when I collapse into bed but there’s one problem, I’m still in my clothes and haven’t brushed my teeth. This is no bueno.
Right now I dream of Jeannie comes to mind…now that’s a skill.
My feet would be massaged, my jams would be on, my teeth would be brushed, and I’d be a size 4.
I guess there’s a reason that show was fictional. Working for something, even as small as clean teeth and bedtime clothes make the reward feel like an accomplishment.
If I were to wake up in the morning a size 4 I’m sure I’d be all broken up about having been denied the opportunity to work for it. Not. But I wouldn’t know the cost and I’d probably quickly gain the weight back again.
So, the bedtime story moral tonight, is enjoy the journey. Whatever your journey is, seek out the joy and hold those things close, they are the meaning behind your mission.
Right now, it’s the toothpaste calling me, and my cozy new jams, I can’t wait to sleep…
I started to formulate this letter in spin class this morning, I think I deserve to actually compose it and publish it, it’s a word of encouragement for myself, and anyone who needs it. Dearest friend, I applaud you for … Continue reading
Gratitude, what’s it about anyway? It’s about not feeling sorry for yourself, not being a victim, it’s about empowerment, it’s about grace and thankfulness.
1. Friends, these people hold me accountable and let me be me, they let me vent and say all the things I couldn’t otherwise say, I wouldn’t otherwise say, if not for a discerning ear. They know what to hold on to, and what to let go of, and what is in my heart. This morning, I’m thankful for friends.
2. Life, I am simply awestruck at this opportunity. The possibilities are endless, the potential for life altering mistakes and victories, the complexity, the fragility, and the knowledge that it’s all so very simple.
3. Health, I feel like starting a FB page called fit-fat. Yeah, you read that right, fit-fat. I’m not kidding here. I am fat, I own that, but I also own that I am pretty darn fit right now and yes, those two can coincide. Hopefully, I can get powerless over the food and as a natural effect of my physical fitness and food choices the fat will go away, but for now I’m fit-fat…and I’m good with that.
4. Springtime…enough said.
5. Fender benders. I have a 2005 paid off Dodge Grand Caravan that I’ve wanted detailed for a few years now. It’s never been in the budget, until now. The other day I was hit from behind in the carpool line, this mom seemed was a little flighty. The incident resulted in a little dimple in the bumper, barely recognizable. The adjustment and check I received from her insurance company was just shy of the cost of detailing my van. Thank goodness no one was hurt, but who knew that morning driving the kids to school in my pajamas that I would soon be able to afford the cost of detailing!
One more word about health. I received a pretty amazing compliment the other day. I went to spin class at the gym and pushed myself, it was exactly what I needed, sweat was pouring off my head, good times. After class two girls stopped me and asked me if that was my first time in class, they commented on how well I did. They were noticeably struggling through it. I told them that I normally come to an earlier class and that I am doing ripped now so I use spin for an off day. My level of endurance was obviously impressive…they didn’t know I was fit-fat.
In conclusion, it was an awesome feeling. Take a few minutes to get grateful and sweat a little today, these will help you learn to love yourself a little more and when we love ourselves we are in a better place to love others and God.
Goals for today:
1. Eat well, meaning healhty.
2. Do a little weed pulling and get a weed mat ready for mulching at least in 25% of yard.
3. Clean the bathroom.
5. Love myself.
Sometimes it sucks when you get invited to the pity-party, you show up and the company is no bueno. That’s why today I am going to have an attitude of gratitude. I see why so many people talk about thinking positive, because if you don’t then this world could take ya down pretty quick.
Have a great day all.